Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"I Believe...."

I have a habit of taking a contrarian point of view when there are discussions with friends about human nature. There are so many truths other than our own, even if they're hard for us to accept. It requires deepy understanding to achieve empathy towards other people.

In her essay about her failed marriage, and consequently her second marriage and her surprisingly amiable relationship with her ex-husband ("An Affair to Rememer," Vogue, February 2009), Isabel Gillies writes:

I believe in love. I believe in hard times and love winning. I believe marriage is hard. I believe people make mistakes. I believe people can want two things at once. I believe people are selfish and generous at the same time (emphasis mine). I believe very few people want to hurt others. I believe that life can surprise you. I believe in happy endings.

Ms. Gillies succintly expresses my own sentiments. If more people were as forgiving and optimistic as Ms. Gillies, I wouldn't have to argue so much about human nature.

2 comments:

goldie said...

Hi. Came across this quote while reading the article and the part you bolded brought out such a visceral, real reaction in me, I actually kinda cried (had to keep it together tho, cus I was in the hair shop). I searched the quote again to try to link it on my blog/twitter and there's a whole bunch of people (like us) who have written about it too. Just wanted to say that you're not the only one that feels that way and neither am I. Happy Friday.

Michael Morco said...

Thanks for dropping by, Goldie. It's great to know that there are a lot of us who share the same sentiment. :)