Thursday, April 3, 2008

Chinkee's Freebie Moment



Nothing Beats a Free Manicure
Finally! After months of going to Dashing Diva every other week for my manicure and pedicure- with the occasional Spoiled or All-Out Pedicure thrown in- I was finally rewarded with my free basic manicure. For those who are familiar with loyalty cards, you know the drill: you have to fill up the card with the establishment’s choice of marker (sticker, stamp or cashier’s initial) up to a certain point where that establishment deems you worthy of some sort of freebie. In my case, my dedication to hand and feet pampering has gifted me with free nail polish, an emery board, confetti used as nail art, and of course, the much-coveted free manicure.

To most men and a small number of women, this seems to be a complete waste of time and money. Why sit on your bum for an hour-and-a-half, reading an outdated magazine, while some lady gingerly cuts away that little piece of dead skin around your toenails? And then after a week-and-a-half, you come back and do the whole thing all over again. It does not make sense. At least, to some people.

I was born into a family jam-packed with females. I have two sisters, and my mom has five sisters. From a very your age, I was thrust into the “Beauty Parlor Culture”. My earliest memories are peppered with my childhood salon experiences… getting my first professional haircut at Demure in Shaw Blvd., getting a bloody nose while demonstrating my pirouettes at Rudy’s, getting a very “punk” (actually looks more like a “siete”) haircut from Lito Katab at age four, suffering through that horrendous perm/mullet my sister and I got at the urging of one of our aunts.

This I believe is what got me hooked on salons. Having my nails done is not really something I have to do: I am not a model or celebutant wherein every inch of my body is under severe scrutiny; nor am I in a relationship with someone with a weird foot fetish (my last boyfriend was a leg/butt man). For me, these are things that I JUST DO. It is something that is practically imbedded in my DNA, being born into a family of women who believe that, hell, looks ARE important. No matter how intellectuals and free-spirits trivialize the importance of aesthetics and appearances in our lives, all these makeover shows on Lifestyle Network and E Channel prove otherwise. This is why I believe that the one-and-a-half hours I piss away on that cushy, custom-made pedicure couch is not just an indulgence, but a form of empowerment wherein I acknowledge the importance of self-love.
And I just like free manicures.
--ChiC

No comments: