Monday, April 21, 2008

My Friday in Receipts





It was great not to have to go to work last Friday. Although we were supposed to have dinner at 8, Che and I met up when there was still sun. We hung around in Italianni's and had fizzy lemonades, while amusing ourselves watching the people passing by, all except one were outshone by the adorable dogs being walked in the open area. The one shining person-moment came when Mama Rene Salud waltzed by, carrying an outsize bag (in banig material) that began at his/her armpit and ended at his/her knee. We thought he had to dive into that bag just to retrieve, say, his/her car key. And wished he/she won't drown in the deep abyss of that bag. (Too bad I didn't take a photo of him.)






When it was no longer too hot to walk around, Che and I did a bit of window shopping, which turned out (for her) to be actual shopping. She got three items from Topshop, while I got a copy of Joshua Ferris's acclaimed first novel, Then We Came to the End. I have begun reading it, and I'm finding it to be quite zippy and pitch-perfect. (More when I finish it.)





Dinner was at CAV, where I am still enjoying the newness of the auto wine dispenser concept. I brought out pen and paper to list down the price every time we got something from the dispenser. (Not so cool, but a great idea when the time comes to split the bill.)

I was the only one who actually had dinner. Che only had a cheese platter, Len and Angie were on a diet, and Corky had two slices of salmon pizza. I had a three-course meal from CAV's prefixe menu.

The corn soup with salmon pastrami, I thought, was quite good. The duck magrit on shiitake risotto was just okay (the risotto was better than the duck), and the chocolate souffle was a delight--maybe because chocolate is rarely not a delight to me.

I'm struggling to remember the name of the white wine I had (and I had four glasses!); I just know the name has "monkey" on it. Not a bad wine for P235 a glass.

It's an interesting age to be in, 28, not old yet but not very young either. I think it might be the time when we're preparing to become married and after that, parents. Because for a while now, we would call it a night at just 1 or 130 in the morning. It used to be so much later. And we used to get much more drunk.

PS. I just wanna remember this, but it was this night that a friend lost something very important. My sympathies. And hopefully, the eventual finder of that thing really, really needs the luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i believe you had the monkey bay sauvignon blanc;-) very aromatic and fruity, right? i love that wine! they sell it in liquor stores for around P500, i think. bili na!