Thursday, April 3, 2008

My "best-dressed" moment



I had my first made-to-order outfit made eleven years ago, back when Rajo Laurel was the bright young thing in Philippine fashion. For six grand, he made me a gray velvet-and-shiny-material suit which I wore to my high school prom. It looked very bold at the time, but seems foolish to me now. Look just how shiny it is!



Even if the pants weren't as ridiculous, it's completely useless now, since it won't fit. But it being what it is, I'm thinking it can serve some future usefulness if remade into a table runner. The jacket, however, just has an outdated silhouette and may still benefit from alteration.

I think my classmates simply equated "best-dressed" to "most strange", and so they gave me the best-dressed award. Plus I think I had it spread around how much trouble I went into to get this outfit. I cringe at the memory.

Incidentally, months after I wore this, I saw Boy Abunda wearing an almost identical suit, but with the fabrics reversed: shiny suit with velvet detail. I don't like designers repeating themselves, especially when it's so close in time and when the "original" was specially-designed for one customer.

A year after that first suit, I had Mr. Laurel make another suit (this time a "proper" one) for me. Guess how much inflation happened within one year. (Ivarluski Aseron charged me the same amount as below when he made me a suit last year!)


That second suit lasted one year. I couldn't bear the American football-player look (think shoulder pads) it gave me after that. Sayang.

--Morx (Share share share please! Email me at mcmorco@gmail.com with your own stories and I'll post them here.)

No comments: